Saturday, December 15, 2012

2012 in Film

I am going to try something that I haven't ever really done on this blog before: regularly scheduled updates. Every day for the next sixteen days I hope to post a review of one of the films I saw in theaters this year. Some of them will be very, very short; others will probably be of about medium length. I doubt any will be particularly long. What follows is a list of all the films I saw & will review, in order of their release date according to Wikipedia.

  • Norwegian Wood
  • Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
  • The Secret World of Arrietty
  • John Carter
  • Silent House
  • 21 Jump Street
  • The Hunger Games
  • The Cabin in the Woods
  • Safe
  • Men in Black 3
  • Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
  • The Amazing Spider-Man
  • Looper
  • Silent Hill: Revelation 3D
  • Wreck-It Ralph
  • Rise of the Guardians

I will begin tomorrow with Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, and hop around the list from there. Some of these movies were absolutely wonderful, others wretched. As someone who has impeccably shitty taste & a total inability to recommend things well, these reviews will almost certainly tend more toward the analytic/critical than the normal recommendation-based model. There really is no particular reason for me to do this, no grand critique to be made through themes or whatever. I just kind of want to.

Quickly, I would like to mention that I will not be reviewing those stupid movies that everyone seems to have wanted to have a go at; The Dark Knight Rises and Cloud Atlas and The Avengers. I didn't see them, first of all; and second, who cares. I think the fact that I avoided these films contributed as much to my enjoying my year of theater-going as much as anything else. So if you want to read about how Batman's a plutocrat or zombies are proles are whatever, feel free to look elsewhere.

Blog Archive