Thursday, January 9, 2020

Top 33 of 2019: The List

For full reviews of each entry, go here. Or use the linked title to jump directly to the entry you're reading about, right after we get through a short preamble. Also it's ordered first to last here and last to first there, so look away quick if you want some anticipation or whatever

Here's an objective ranked list of all 33 2019-published media properties I experienced.

More seriously: these are the things from 2019 I listened to, played, watched, and read. There are probably some oversights, which I apologize for. It's a fairly light list compared to other years, so I just combined everything into one. I also did that because it seemed like fun to try to rank albums against movies against TV against games against books.

As the list took shape, it ended up with a weirdly even split. Everything ranked from roughly 32 to 17 was something I could take or leave. Everything 16 or above I really fucking liked. Which might be a thing to keep in mind when reading; if something is in the top half and it seems like I'm just criticizing it, I'm criticizing out of love. If something's in the bottom half and I'm just criticizing it it's probably because I think it's critically fucked or boring. And there's only one thing I actively disliked experiencing, which is at the bottom of this list.

Top 33 of 2019

  1. Taylor Swift - Lover
  2. Hexarchate Stories (Yoon Ha Lee)
  3. Kingdom Hearts III
  4. 100 gecs - 1000 gecs
  5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  6. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep
  7. Good Eats (season 15)
  8. Miranda Lambert - Wildcard
  9. Riverdale (seasons 3 & 4)
  10. Ceschi - Sad, Fat Luck
  11. The Forest of Love
  12. The Bedroom Witch - Diaspora
  13. Wolfenstein: Youngbloods
  14. Sole & DJ Pain 1 - No God Nor Country
  15. The Ascent to Godhood (JY Yang)
  16. Ceschi - Sans Soleil
  17. Maren Morris - Girl
  18. The Good Place (seasons 3 & 4)
  19. Death Stranding
  20. Hanna
  21. Outer Wilds
  22. Baba Is You
  23. Scream (season 3)
  24. Super Mario Maker 2
  25. The Highwomen - The Highwomen
  26. Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists
  27. No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Back
  28. Sayonara Wild Hearts
  29. Us
  30. Apex Legends
  31. Stalker: Solstice
  32. The Cactus Blossoms - Easy Way
  33. Untitled Goose Game

Blog Archive